3.26.2009

it's like oil and water, baby

These are some celebrities that I love:


Lauren Conrad. I am def a Hills addict.

Victoria Beckham. I totally choreographed dances to "Wannabe" and "Spice Up Your Life" with my little brother when we were little. We were pretty fabulous.


Kanye West. I'm all about 808's and Heartbreak.


The light of my life, Katie Holmes. I'm currently rewatching season 4 of Dawson's Creek, where she and Pacey get together. True love has never been more romantic. I mean fine, she ended up marrying Crazy, but she has some pretty sick style and has produced an insanely beautiful child.

Gwenyth. Totally fabulous, in every way.


And these are some designers I love:

Yves. Dear, sweet Yves. He's like a modern day Dionysus in this photo.

I laughed out loud when I saw this photo of Karl Lagerfeld, who, aside from being one of the most talented designers in the history of the industry, says nothing but the most absurd things uttered by any human being. Ever.

Proenza Schouler boys...Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez. So effing beautiful. Such good clothes.


Oh, bless DVF. She's wearing Margiela's wig coat with fishnets and she looks amazing. If I tried to pose publicly in that outfit people would cover their eyes and run. Instead, they just put DVF on the cover of a magazine...no big deal.

My very long-winded, slightly antagonistic point here is that I separated out these lovely individuals into two groups because THE FIRST NEEDN'T BE TRYING TO INFILTRATE THE ARTISTIC CAREERS OF THE SECOND. Sigh. Fashion is a form of art, folks. Just because you have a stylist who's given you some great style, and you have a lot of money because you're a celebrity, doesn't mean that you should just start designing your own line of clothing. I love fashion a lot. I love wearing it even more. But you won't see me in front of the camera, because I'm not a model, and you sure as hell won't see me trying to design anything because I can barely draw a stick figure. I'm perfectly content to write about it. I won't usually rant and rave this much, I promise...I just have very strong feelings about situations where the sanctity of the art isn't taken seriously. And when celebrities just decide that they'll start designing because it seems fun, it takes away from designers who have spent their lives devoted to fashion and to their craft. Each of those celebrities has been notably influential in their field, in some way or the other...whether it's TV, music, or film, and I love that. But, celebrities who long to design, I beseech you...let it go. Do your thing, designers will do their thing, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

1 comment:

  1. I actually kind of like Lauren Conrad's line every once in a while. It's never really fantastic, but I like the print on this dress.

    http://www.shopbop.com/harlow-dress-lauren-conrad/vp/v=1/845524441835939.htm?folderID=2534374302082052&fm=browse-brand-shopbysize

    ReplyDelete